Tuesday 29 March 2011

revolution.

Githa Hariharn quotes a German Pastor, Reverend Martin Niemoller, in her novel In times of Siege, who was persecuted by the Nazis.


                               'In Germany, they first came for the
                               communists, and I did not speak up
                               because I was not a communists.Then
                               they came for the Jews, and I did not
                               speak up because I was not a Jew.

                               'Then they came for the trade
                               unionists, and I did not speak up
                               because I was not a trade unionist.

                               'Then they came for the homosexuals,
                               and I did not speak up because I was
                               not a homosexual.

                              'Then they came for the Catholics,
                              and I did not speak up because I was
                              Protestnt.
                            
                              'Then they came for me . . . but by
                              that time there was no one left to
                              speak up.'


                          

No comments:

Post a Comment